Friday, December 9, 2011

Growing Up

Well, I can say I am in a much better place than I was 1 year ago when I thought my world was crumbling apart.  When PT school did not work out for me, and when I was crying once, if not 2-3 times a week because I was failing and not enjoying it.  Thought I was failing in life.  Sometimes I wonder if I brought that upon myself, thinking I had to be studying every second of the day.  (Which...we almost did!  It was legit hard!)

The exercise science/kinesiology major is definitely for me.  I got 100% on my physiology of aging final, and 97.5 on my exercise physiology final.  Clearly, I'm in the right place.  :)  I think I'll have a 4.0 this semester, or close to it (haha-not sure about research methods-that's more of a challenge for me, but hoping for an A!)  This is also the 1st semester I haven't cried over a tough class.  I even cried every semester in undergrad-because I had to take some harder classes to get into PT school like chem and physics-challenging for me! 

I'm in such a great mood today, thought I'd write a blog about it.  I taught my first whole spin class this morning, and it went real well.  The other trainer said I did a great job, and some of the members came up to me after and said they really enjoyed the class!  I also get compliments on when I sub for a strength training class :)  I definitely feel like I was meant to teach fitness classes.  I just need to get a GroupEx certification so I can have my own class in a few sessions I'm hoping!  I work at the Y, have my personal training certification as well as a Spin cert.  I'm allowed to sub for other group ex classes because of those certifications.  Anyways..I think one of the reasons I am pretty good at teaching them is because I learned a lot from fitness DVDs I used to follow like Denise Austin, and various others, as well as taking classes myself.  I mean...every day in the summers or on break I would throw in a tape and workout!  I was thinking..maybe I could make my own DVD 1 day, but I don't even know how to go about that, I'd need help.

So, I am still unsure of where I want to go with this degree, but I have options :)  Either in a more clinical setting (cardiac or pulmonary rehab), or corporate fitness (I like fitness the most...but then, I also enjoy older adults and working with them too in a clinical setting...I'm very thorough, which I think would be good in the hospital).  I could maybe take 1 class a semester toward the PhD+work.  Ahhh I don't know.

Ideally, though, this is my dream job that I made up:  Owning a fitness center within a ski resort out West.  I don't even know if they have those.  But I should start one.  Then, I could own the fitness center, personal train, teach classes, and teach snowboard lessons.  Haha :)

Oh, and I have an AWESOME boyfriend who is an avid cyclist, and doesn't mind the amount I work out, because he often spends 14 hrs a week on his bike in season.  Nice.  I support that.

My sister has been working out more too.  Also wrote my mom an interval workout for her bike this winter-she gets bored riding the same moderate level all the time.  She enjoyed it-even sweated more wooo!  I wish I was closer to home sometimes so I could train her!  Us Perchinske's work hard!  Seriously, though, it's my mom's "always working at the best of your ability, no slacking" attitude, and my dad's super strong work ethic that has produced the same results in my sister and I :)  We have AWESOME parents!  Now...if only I could be promised a great job in the future where I can make an impact in people's lives, and Kristen a good job for next semester, she's graduating next week woo hoo!

Ok, I better get started on some schoolwork today, haha, I haven't yet! 

"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness."  Edward Stanley

"God is with those who persevere."

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."  Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment